A Gift From The Gods

A Gift From The Gods
Photo By Nicole N, Belgium

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy Wep-Renpet!


Happy New Year!  I think I can still safely wish all of you a happy happy  since this is the first Sunday of the year.  Tomorrow on the other hand... How did you spend the ushering in of the New Year? 

The new year for the ancient Egyptians was called Wep-Renpet or the Opening of the Year.  This occurred when the Sirius star, the brightest star in the sky represented by the goddess Sopdet, rose and when the Nile river correspondingly began its yearly inundation.  The yearly flooding of the Nile river occurred around the date June 21st.  So in actuality, the Egyptians would have already celebrated their new year's celebration six months ago with a festival called, "The Coming of the Sopdet". 

The new year was vital for the Egyptians as it was imperative for the Nile river to flood.  It had to flood just enough to maintain crops.  If it didn't flood enough, there was a famine.  If it flooded too much, famine and possible destruction by water.  I am sure there was some apprehension as the Opening of the Year commenced. 

I hope your New Year's day wasn't anxiety-filled. The new year should be a time of reflection and renewal; Plans of "New" should be bouncing around your creative thought bubbles.  I definitely have some new plans and it includes writing more regularly no matter what, so that my passion for all things Ancient Egyptian will never tire out. I want to thank all of my readers and subscribers and I wish you only the best for 2013.

Blessings to all!

No comments: