A Gift From The Gods

A Gift From The Gods
Photo By Nicole N, Belgium

Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Three Hour Tour

For some reason, I can not find my little note book with all the wonderful facts I wrote down concerning my trip to the King Tut exhibit.  I've been searching all over the place but to no avail.  Oh well. Maybe this is a sign to simply write about the feelings surrounding my experience during my excersion.  If that's the case, then here I go.

Firstly, everything seemed to go wrong with my plans before I even got there. Different things kept popping up like traps in an obstacle course to hinder me from my trip.  I finally got frustrated and even though I finally made it to the train station, I was already almost 2 hours late so in the heat and in my long tropically textured dress, I dragged myself back home from the train station.  Then I received a call from the coordinator of the tour.  She encouraged me to come so I made my way back to the train station and jumped on the train for an hour-long ride into Manhattan. When I got there, it was quite empty and quiet in the lobby.  I called the coordinator a few times but she didn't hear because she was probably too busy giving the tour that I was already almost 3 hours late to.  'A Three Hour Tour' kept echoing in my head. 

I walked in the first room of the exhibit which was an introduction from one of the young employees basically telling us to keep our hands to ourselves and no picture taking. That was fine. I heard a tour group ahead of the tiny group I was a part of.  When the young man finished his spiel, I asked if I could join the group straight ahead, thinking that I already missed my tour group.  Lo and behold, the group I joined was my group led by my friend and her husband.  'Wow', I thought.  I was excruciatingly late and yet I met them with ease.  And what a group!  There were easily 40/50 people listening intently to the guides and asking intuitive questions.  The artifacts were phenomenal of course.  Although I saw this same King Tut's exhibit before in Philadelphia a few years ago, I couldn't get enough of it.  What made this exhibit in New York City so fascinating was that now that Pharaoh Tutankhamun's family members have been identified from his father to his grandparents, they too were on display.  Not them but their belongings which I believe their essence still resides in. 

So many breathtaking objects. I kind of felt at home.  One aspect that I will take away from my experience is that finally, Tutankhamun was portrayed not simply as a mummy, but a beautiful young man who once walked the earth and was given the tremendous responsibility at the tender age of 8 or 9 to rule the mightiest civilization in the world.  A young man who basically had the world on his shoulders and who tragically died so young before we could see his skills as a ruler. I do think that this exhibit honored him.  The one aspect of it that I didn't care for was the replica of his mummified body.  While this is pertinent to some, I believe they could have done without it.  I think he should be remembered as any human being would without the display of his remains which should be respected and thus covered. 

My next stop, Egypt! (One Day)

*Whenever I do find my little notebook full of good stuff, I will share it with you all.  Thanks for stopping by! 

Tomorrow's blog will deal with a very recent and interesting Swedish scientific article I came upon by accident dealing with Cloning of human remains from Ancient Egypt! The Possibilities

No comments: